Frequently Asked Questions
ATTENTION! THE ENTRY SUBMISSION DEADLINE DATE HAS NOW BEEN EXTENDED TO JUNE 6, 2019 AT 23:59:59 (PT).
How do I access the competition website?
Please access the competition website at www.aecexcellence.com. Ensure that your internet browser is up-to-date (the most recent version) for optimal performance.
Who is eligible to enter the competition?
The competition is open to Architecture-Engineering-Construction (“AEC”) firms and individuals who work within the AEC industry sector. See Official Rules at www.aecexcellence.com for complete eligibility requirements.
When does the competition open?
You may begin submitting your project entry and/or nomination for Innovator of the Year on April 1, 2019 12:00:01 AM Pacific Time (“PT”).
What is the deadline for submitting a project entry and/or nomination for Innovator of the Year into the competition site?
All submissions must be received by June 6, 2019 at 11:59:59 PM Pacific Time (PT).
When will finalists be announced?
Finalists will be announced on the contest site in August 2019.
What are the categories in this year’s competition?
This year’s competition includes Infrastructure Design, Building Design, and Construction each with small, medium, and large size project awards. We will also be accepting nominations for the ‘Innovator of the Year’ award.
How do I determine if my project is small, medium, or large?
Project size is based on the total project cost in US Dollars. Please refer to the chart below for guidance when selecting the category for your project entry:
|Large Project||Over $500,000,000||Over $200,000,000||Over $500,000,000|
|Medium Project||$100,000,000 - $500,000,000||$20,000,000 - $200,000,000||$100,000,000 - $500,000,000|
|Small Project||Less than $100,000,000||Less than $20,000,000||Less than $100,000,000|
How many project entries may I submit?
You may submit up to five (5) project entries for consideration into the competition.
One project may be submitted into multiple categories as long as it meets the requirements for the category.
What are the criteria to nominate someone or myself for ‘Innovator of the Year’?
The ‘Innovator of the Year’ is an individual who is using emerging technology and innovative processes that are new to the industry. Nominations will be evaluated based on your nominee’s use of Autodesk technology, use of emerging technology and innovative processes. Please see the Official Rules at www.aecexcellence.com for additional details.
What are the judging criteria for the categories?
Please visit www.aecexcellence.com and refer to the “Official Rules” section of the competition site for complete details on the judging criteria for each category.
Who are the judges for this year’s competition?
Each category will have a unique panel of judges. Please visit www.aecexcellence.com and refer to the “Judges” section of the competition site to see the panel of judges.
What are the prizes?
A prize package will be awarded to the winner of the Innovator of the Year Award and to the winner of each small, medium, and large size project in the Building Design, Infrastructure Design, and Construction categories. Please visit www.aecexcellence.com and refer to the “Prizes” section in the Official Rules and/or on the competition site for complete prize details.
How do I register for the AEC Excellence Awards 2019 competition?
Individuals wishing to participate in the AEC Excellence Awards must first register by creating an account at www.aecexcellence.com. You will need to provide your complete name, job title, company name and location, your email address, and create a password. All participants must agree to the terms of the competition. Once registered, participants must log in to start a project entry as an individual or as part of a team (maximum of 6 participants per team) and/or submit a nomination for ‘Innovator of the Year.’
Where do I login?
Once you create an account, you may log into the website by clicking “LOG IN” on the account creation success page or by clicking on the link in your account confirmation email. At any time, you can also click on “LOG IN” at the top of any page at www.aecexcellence.com.
Can other people help with my project entry submission?
Yes, you have the ability to work on a project entry as a team. If you wish to work on a project entry as a team, the individual who is authorized to represent and bind the Firm (“Team Leader”) must register and begin a project entry. Once the Team Leader has begun the project entry, he/she will be able to invite up to five (5) team members to work on the entry.
Each invited team member will receive an email with a link to the AEC Excellence Awards registration page. Once the invited team member submits the completed registration form, he/she will need to log in to access and work on their team’s project entry.
IMPORTANT: Only the Team Leader can submit a completed project entry.
*Note that the role of “Team Leader” can be transferred by the current Team Leader to another active team member, if applicable.
I never received the email invitation to add me to a project team. How can I get added?
Contact the Team Leader of the project you wish to work on to ensure you have been added as a team member on the project entry. Check your spam folder and make sure you have put firstname.lastname@example.org on a safe sender list. If you have done that and still don’t receive a password reset email, email us at email@example.com.
What information is required for a project entry?
For each project entry, you must provide us with a project overview and a description of your project. You will also need to complete the essay questions for the category you are entering. You will be required to upload at least three (3), but no more than five (5) supporting images. Videos are highly encouraged to support your entry, but not required.
Are there specific requirements for submitting imagery or videos?
Entrants must have the necessary legal rights to submit the images and videos as part of this contest entry and in order to grant Autodesk and the Administrator the rights to use such materials (1) as part of this contest entry, and (2) as specified in the Official Rules and in the Permission Form. At least three (3), but no more than five (5) images or photographs must be submitted with each project entry and must meet the requirements outlined in the Official Rules.
How do I submit more than one project?
You may submit up to 5 different projects by going to “My Projects” and start a new entry for a different project or Innovator of the Year.
How do I make edits to a section?
Simply go to the “My Entries” page and select the project entry you wish to edit. Go to the section within your entry and click “edit” to make changes. Be sure to save any changes.
Who can I contact with questions or to get help with submitting my project entry?
Please contact the AEC Excellence Awards team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I can’t remember my password and I did not receive a lost password email. What do I do?
Check your spam folder and make sure you have put email@example.com on a safe sender list. If you have done that and still don’t receive a password reset email, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What information is needed to support my project entry?
For each project entry, you must provide a project overview and a description of your project. You will also need to complete the essay questions. To enhance your submission, include measurable, quantifiable data and results in your answers and provide specific examples of how the Autodesk software was used. Additionally, you will be required to upload at least three (3), but no more than five (5) supporting images. Videos are highly encouraged to support your entry, but not required.
Essay questions may include:
- Description of project (please include as much detail as possible including square footage, complexity, unique features, etc.)
- Describe the challenges of this project (consider business challenges and metrics including lost revenue, collaboration with other project stakeholders, schedule constraints, project complexity, safety risks, environmental factors, structural or MEP systems, community/user requirements, etc.)
- How did the use of Autodesk technology help solve these challenges? (describe the workflow and provide specific examples for each of the Autodesk products used)
- What was the outcome or results of this project? (examples may include business growth, money or time saved, return-on-investment, reduced change orders, reduced materials waste, increased stakeholder collaboration, use of data and analytics to identify areas of risk, etc.)
- Describe the benefits of using analysis and/or simulation tools or services on this project (examples may include lighting or energy, air/ fluid flow, machine learning, structural analysis, etc.)
- Describe the benefits of using BIM workflows, visualization, analysis, or collaboration and/or project management and field software to improve team communication throughout this project
- Describe the benefits of using emerging and/or integrated technology and innovative processes (examples may include AR/VR, robotics, automation, generative design, drones, reality capture/scan to BIM, sensors, IoT, Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA), prefabrication, modular/offsite construction, artificial intelligence/machine learning for data driven decision making, use of geospatial data in design, context modeling, virtual design in construction (VDC), etc.)
- How did the project incorporate Autodesk cloud products for project management and delivery; including multi-discipline collaboration, Revit work-sharing, preconstruction management, data capture and analysis?
- How did you use Autodesk technology to achieve sustainability goals around minimizing environmental and community impact? (examples may include building performance analysis, material waste and water reduction, sustainable material use, labor and social impact innovation.)
- How did Autodesk software enable you to extend BIM workflows on this project? (examples may include optimizing MEP, steel or precast design to fabrication, use of prefabrication/modular/offsite construction, preconstruction, field management, etc.)
Please visit the competition site at www.aecexcellence.com for complete details on the submission requirements.
What information is needed to support my ‘Innovator of the Year’ nomination?
You will need to describe how the individual you are nominating is adopting new technology and processes that are new to the industry for improved efficiency and productivity. Your nomination essay should include specific examples of how the Nominee is using emerging technology to lead, change and transform the design and/or construction process for their project, company or industry in a positive way. Examples of emerging technologies include generative design, Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DfMA), AR/VR, geospatial + BIM data, drones, prefabrication, modular/offsite construction, IoT/sensors, robotics, AI, machine learning for data driven decisions.
Please visit the competition site at www.aecexcellence.com for complete details on the submission requirements.
Do you have the contest Rules, Permission Form and Frequently Asked Questions available in Chinese, French, German, Japanese translation?
Click the link below to access the materials available in the following languages: